David Woody, world history and psychology teacher

Q- How long have you been teaching at PHS?

A- I came to PHS in the fall of 2013, so this year is my 9th graduating class.

Q- Why did you want to become a teacher?

A- I have never considered any other career since at least 5 grade, when I had excellent teachers at Vienna School, and loved them very much. From that point on, I began studying my teachers more than my lessons, to see what made good teachers good and poor teachers bad. I tried to imagine that I could copy to think that I’ve done okay with that.

Q- How long have you been teaching?

A- I taught one semester in the Spring of 1978 at Calhoun County High School, then got shut out of jobs until the Fall of 1984, then I went to Parkersburg Catholic, where I remained for 29 years. Then I came here.

Q- Favorite memory of the school or of teaching?

A- My favorite memories will be all the time my students told me that they “loved” me. I have been very fortunate to have many, many, students who were willing to let me know how much I meant to them, and I will cherish that always.

Q- What’s something you’ll miss?

A- I will miss that daily interactions in the classroom. I never get tired of seeing what the day will bring. Every day has a unique adventure along the way. No day is ever “perfect”, but there have been a lot of really good ones. I really do love my students, and I will miss getting to exchange ideas with energetic young minds.

Q- What is the plan for retirement?

A- “I don’t make plans!” I have a house to evacuate, another to move into, two kids who sometimes need assistance, and two grandsons who I love spending time with. I have books to read, maybe some to write, music to explore, concerts to attend, cities to visit, furniture to refinish, walks in the woods to experience, and many other projects to consider. But, I will do whatever my wife tells me to. (She makes the plans!)

Q- Describe your career at PHS in one word?

A- Varied.

Q- Are you an alumni of PHS?

A- Yes, I graduated here in 1972.

Q- What were you like as a student?

A- A bit of a nerd, I guess. I enjoyed my classes, regardless of my grades, played in the band, had an eclectic range of friends from all classes, and an interesting girlfriend or two. I had a good time most of the time.

Q- What advice would you give to students?

A- Never care what the “crowd” thinks. Be your own person and be completely that. Push yourself to your absolute limits so you will know (who) you are truly capable of being. Be as smart, happy, caring and sincere as you can possibly be. Things will work out.

Q- What’s something that your students would be surprised to know about you?

A- I’m not really an extrovert.

The Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *