Big Red Golfers Reclaim Trophy

For the first time in four years, the golf team stood on the first tee at Parkersburg Country Club and posed with the City Cup trophy. The team’s victory versus Parkersburg South on Tuesday August 24, was led by first year coach, Vince Guice.

“Obviously you always want to win. It felt great winning my first year as coach. The kids did awesome,” said Guice.

The City Cup is an annual match play tournament between PHS and South. The trophy was previously held by South, meaning PHS had to win by four and a half points, while South only needed four. The Big Reds won by a landslide, winning six matches and only losing two, earning a total of six points.

The golf team looked a little different this year after losing three varsity players, including graduating seniors, Nicole Lincicome and Daniel Wharton, as well as sophomore Joey Koreski. Four varsity players returned: lone senior Molly McLean, sophomore Brielle Milhoan, and juniors Hayden Leavitt and Anna Earl, with sophomore Dylan Bond and freshman Vinnie Guice stepping up to fill the varsity lineup. Freshmen Bryce Willis and Braden Williams also played in their first City Cup, and were in the seventh and eighth positions.

PHS’s first point was scored by Williams, who won his match against Maddox Lord seven up with five holes left. This means that Williams won seven holes and only had five holes remaining. Even if his opponent won the next five holes, Williams would have still won.

McLean then finished her match up six with four holes to go against Patriot Austin Reeves.

“It felt amazing to finally get the cup back, especially for my senior year. My favorite part of City Cup and match play in general is the adrenaline rush. Sinking an important putt, or sticking a shot close when the match is tight always gets me excited,” said McLean.

Milhoan had the lead on Kaleb Tanner through her entire entire match, and secured her second City Cup win by five with four holes to go.

“My favorite part of City Cup was seeing my whole team successful and happy with themselves. Also, seeing all of us supporting each other no matter what,” said Milhoan.

After these three wins, PHS spirits were rising; they had three points already on the board and only needed one more point to win. Leavitt  played against Nate Gilpin, and won the final point, winning by six with four holes left. Earl tried to make a comeback after being three down with only four holes left, but ultimately lost after hole 17 by two to Brandt Butcher. Right behind her, Guice closed out his match beating Olivia Foley on hole 17 after chipping on the green and making a two putt bogey. Guice faced near disaster after running out of golf balls on hole 14. He was forced to lose the hole, but McLean was able to save the day after giving him more balls, allowing him to finish his match.

With only four holes left, Bond closed out Brody Allman, winning the match by three. Willis and Isea Dillon were the last to finish after a tough match, losing by 5 with four holes left.

This marked the Big Reds’ second consecutive win against South, having beaten them the previous week with team scores of 342 to 377. The team will defend the cup in next year’s event.