PHS Places 2nd in Science Olympiad

PHS SCIENCE OLYMPIAD TEAM: Front: Pallavi Sundaram, Isabel Bhati, Julia Auch and science teacher Lisa Berry. Back: Daniel Wharton, Matthew Pierson, Ian Stengel and CeCe Fatta.

PHS recently placed second overall in the Science Olympiad, missing nationals by just two points. This year, the state competition was held in person at Marshall University.

Science Olympiad is a science based competition that students from all over the county compete in. Topics in the Olympiad are usually based on a test or build structure. Students from all grades represented PHS this year, many placing first in their categories.

Seniors Julia Auch and CeCe Fatta placed first in Anatomy & Physiology. Fatta also placed first in Chemistry Lab with freshman Isabel Bhati.

Seniors Ian Stengel and Daniel Wharton received first in Circuit Lab. First place in Forensics went to Fatta and senior Matthew Pierson. Pierson, Auch, and freshmen Pallavi Sundaram were also awarded first in Protein Modeling.

Second place for Fossils went to Fatta and Sundaram. Wharton, Stengel and senior Jack Ralsten placed third in Codebusters. Third place for Ornithology was awarded to Auch and sophomore Rohan Malik-Hamirani.

“The most rewarding part about Science Olympiad is being able to learn about topics that are new and interesting. My favorite part is being able to travel and compete as a team,” said senior Julia Auch.