Senior Spotlight: Teagan DeMoss

Photo by Jill Johnson

Teagan DeMoss, senior.

Senior Teagan DeMoss, has been very active in extracurricular activities. She has rowed on the crew team for four years, along with being a member of Sophomore and Junior Cabinets. DeMoss was also in Key Club her freshman and sophomore years. After participating in the PHS journalism program throughout all four years of high school, she was chosen to be an editor for the yearbook staff this year. Recently, DeMoss was awarded a good citizen award by The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

After graduation, DeMoss plans on attending George Mason University (GMU) in Virginia. She received the Mason Distinction Award, which is a $68,000 scholarship offered to out-of-state students. “I knew I wanted to be somewhere far away, and I’m really looking forward to a change of routine and scenery. Sometimes it feels like I do the same thing every day, so I’m looking forward to some change,” said DeMoss.

While at George Mason, she plans on getting a bachelor’s degree in forensic science, a subject she became interested in after taking teacher Sherri McManaway’s forensic science class at PHS. DeMoss has been in contact with the GMU women’s rowing coach and is hoping to row for their college team. Rowing is very important to DeMoss, so a college that accepted smaller rowers was an important factor in her choice. The average height for a women’s college rower is six feet, so rowing in college would be an impressive accomplishment for the five foot two student athlete. “All I knew was that I wanted to be far away and wanted to row for the team,” she said.

DeMoss is excited to only be about 20 minutes from Washington D.C. and she is looking forward to all of the opportunities the area has to offer. While DeMoss is looking forward to college, she is going to miss her two cats. She will also miss parts of high school. “The PHS English department will always hold a special place in my heart,” she said.

UPDATE: Since this story was originally published, DeMoss has chosen to go to Fairmont State University instead of GMU.