Yasmeen Alamin

Dominique Anderson, senior

Dominique Anderson, Senior

Finding joy in lending a hand to others, senior Dominque Anderson aspires to become a therapist in the future.

“Helping others is a part of who I am, and I am excited to do it as a career,” Anderson said.

Hoping to turn her professional dreams into reality, she intends on majoring in psychology in college.

“After this school year ends, I will be starting a new chapter in my life at Marietta College in the fall,” Anderson said.

While graduating high school and attending college welcomes a time of celebration for soon-to-be graduates, they also have a special significance to Anderson and her family.

“I will be the first person in my mother’s family to graduate from a public high school and go to college,” Anderson said. “So, my family is very proud of me for that. My mom and my grandma are my biggest supporters. They make me feel as though I can accomplish anything.”

As a member of Senior Women’s Club, Anderson enjoys being involved in her community. She is also a member of Key Club, a student-led organization centered around service and leadership.

“I love how giving Key Club is, like when we put snacks in the teachers’ lounge for them to enjoy so we can show our appreciation for them,” she said.

Among the various clubs Anderson takes part in, her favorite one is the Diversity Student Union given its valuable nature.

“I love learning about other cultures, and it makes me more culturally aware,” she said.

When discussing her experience as a mixed-race individual, Anderson finds great influence in her upbringing.

“I grew up around mostly white people because I spent all of my time with my mother’s family,” Anderson said. “As a kid, I was always excited to be around other Black people. I felt like there was a part of me missing because I was never around my Black family.”

Anderson also acknowledges the struggles she’s endured and lessons she’s learned over the years.

“I have always felt like I never fit in with either community, but I take pride in who I am as a person and the roots I come from,” Anderson said.

When she’s not caught up in extracurriculars, Anderson enjoys spending time with loved ones, including her dog Drako, and reading poetry.

The Journal • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Journal Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *