Singing for the Holidays

Choir to hold annual Christmas concert on Dec. 19

A Cappella Choir is a representation of a tradition of excellence at PHS. Since the choir was founded, this tradition has been shown time and time again. The A Cappella Christmas Concert has been an annual event since 1932; this year will mark the 90th anniversary of the concert. Every year, including 1932, A Cappella has sung “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” at the beginning of the concert while marching down the aisles of the auditorium towards the stage with candles in hand. Two of the other annuals, “Hallelujah Chorus” and “Silent Night” were added to the concerts later on. 

This year, the theme for the Christmas concert is “Christmastide.” It will focus on the time between Christmas and New Years. Christmas memories are another big focus for the concert. On Dec. 19, the concert will be held for the community, starting at 7:00 p.m. Two school concerts will take place in the auditorium on Dec. 21 during 2nd and 7th periods. 

The selected pieces this year were chosen to reflect traditional Christmas values. 

“It’s supposed to connect with all audience members and bring feelings of Christmas spirit,” said Joshua Dubs, choir director. 

In addition to the Christmas concert, A Cappella participated in another event on Tuesday, Dec. 6. PHS held its annual tree lighting on the front campus with several school groups performing. The Big Red Band played “Holiday Medley” to kick off the tree lighting, followed by a performance by the Red Wings. A combination of A Cappella and Freshman choirs sang “O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” “Carol of the Bells,” and “Silent Night.” For the final song, “Silent Night,” members of the audience were given lyrics in their pamphlets to sing along and hold candles that were lit as the lights of the building were turned off in preparation for the tree lighting. 

Other groups at the event were the Diversity Student Union and Student Council president Noah Ray. The night ended with a visit from Santa Claus, as well as free hot chocolate and cookies.