NHS Extends Application Deadline for Prospective Members

National Honor Society has announced the start of the application process for new members for the 2022-2023 school year. The deadline to apply has been pushed back to February 4 after several snow days.

There have been several changes made to the qualification and application process this year, as the honor society tries to rebuild its strength and presence in the school community. The grade point average requirement is the main shift in qualifications, as it was lowered from at least a 3.5 to a 3.0, in an effort to make the group more inclusive and accessible for students. However, the core requirements for application, Scholarship, Character, Leadership and Service, remain a large part of membership consideration.

President Emma Fleming has explained the new form of application, as the process shifted over the past few years from a fillable form style, to a resume, to the current Google form online. The form is made up of the typical questions found on past applications, and is based on the model of most online college applications. On it, students can submit descriptions of volunteer experience, work experience, extracurriculars, etc.

“This year we tried to model the application after actual college and scholarship applications that students will fill out their senior year. That way, when they go to apply for college or scholarships, they will kind of know what they’re doing,” said Fleming.

Other elements of past applications are still required, including three recommendations, which can be from current or past teachers or advisors of an extracurricular. These recommendations may be submitted to Abby Taylor through email at [email protected] or to room 204W in a sealed envelope. Along with the recommendations, students must submit their high school transcript, which can be provided from either a school counselor or

Parchment.com. Finally, applicants must write a 500 word essay addressing the four pillars of NHS and how their activities meet those pillars and qualify them for membership.

Applications will now be accepted through Friday, Feb. 4, and will be reviewed by a team of teachers. Membership announcements will be made at a later time with an induction ceremony held in the spring.